The School Advisory Council is consultative in that it formulates, initiates, and administers certain projects essential to success. The Advisory Council’s functions include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in the development of long-range plans for the school in conjunction with the Principal for input on the School Improvement Plan.
- Helps development of the total school budget.
- Advises on local policy development and formation which are consistent with diocesan policies and guidelines.
- Provides public relations, marketing, and communications support.
- Establishes development planning and fundraising.
- Advises on facilities maintenance and management.
- Nominates new members for the Advisory Council.
Below are the current members of the School Advisory Council.
- Father John Tapp, Pastor
- Mrs. Maureen Ringley, Principal
- Charlie McCarthy, Director of Finance & Operations: Mr. McCarthy has a degree in business and finance. He’s worked as a comptroller for several companies and has served as a Director of Finance and Operations for a Catholic parish on the east coast of Florida for over 11 years.
- Richard Kolhoff, Executive Director of Construction for the DOSP: Richard Kolhoff is the Director of Construction for the Diocese of St. Petersburg. He holds a Bachelor’s in Architecture from The Ohio State University. He has extensive experience in school design and construction from early childhood to the university level, and from both the designer’s and owner’s perspective. Some of Richard’s favorite projects from his current role at the Diocese include the Bethany Retreat Center, the renovation and remodeling of the Cathedral of St. Jude, St. Anne, St. Catherine, and St. Stephen Catholic churches, the dining hall replacement at Good Counsel Camp, and the remodeling and renovation of Nativity Catholic Church. His previous position was with the public school system on the programming side which is the most important phase to produce an effective and efficient project. Richard is currently a Eucharistic Minister for Espiritu Santo Parish in Safety Harbor, a volunteer for the Dunedin Public Library, and a member of the Professional Selection Committee for the Pinellas County School District. He’s been married to his wife Malla for more than 35 years and they have a son and daughter who attended Catholic school. Richard is looking forward to bringing his architectural expertise to the School Advisory Council to help Nativity with its facilities planning.
- Cheriese Edwards, Vice Principal of Tampa Catholic High School: Cheriese L. Edwards has a strong belief that only what you do for Christ will last. It is with this mindset that she approaches Catholic education. Currently the Vice Principal at Tampa Catholic High School, she coordinates the curriculum implementation process and professional development activities for faculty and staff. Cheriese has over 14 years of secondary classroom experience in Catholic schools where she has served as a teacher, extracurricular moderator, Dean of Students, and Assistant Principal for Curriculum. In education and life, she has found that as you gain information, God provides revelation, and as we grow in our knowledge of Christ, we have an obligation to share that knowledge with others. Cheriese holds a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Florida A&M University, a Master’s in Social Science Education from the University of South Florida, and is currently enrolled in an Education Specialist program in Education Leadership at St. Leo University. Outside of the honor of sharing God’s love through education and in her career, Cheriese is the proud wife of Demond Edwards and together they have four children: Devaughn, Nicholas, Deidra, and Tanisha.
- Lou & Kristin Ricca, Cardno Communications: Louis and Kristin Ricca (Secretary) have been members of Nativity Catholic Church for more than 10 years. Kristin graduated from Nativity Catholic School (class of ’94), and their daughter Haley is a seventh-grader at the school. Louis works for an environmental engineering consulting firm in Riverview where he assists with marketing and business development support. He is an accredited business communicator (ABC) and has experience in internal and external communications for Fortune 500 companies in the Tampa Bay area. He holds a degree in Public Relations from the University of Florida and is currently a member of the Tampa Bay chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). Louis is the ministry leader for the Job Search & Preparation Ministry at Nativity. Kristin is an active volunteer at Nativity Catholic School in roles, including homeroom angel, classroom, and volunteer. She has experience working in the marketing/communications departments for a hospitality resort and a large law firm in the Tampa Bay area. She has a degree in Business Administration with a marketing major. Louis and Kristin are looking forward to participating in strategic discussions and using their communications and marketing experience to strengthen the future of Nativity Catholic School.
- Michele Montanez, Nativity Catholic School: Michele Montanez is the Resource teacher at Nativity Catholic School. She has been teaching at Nativity for 17 years and began her career at Nativity in PreK3 and PreK4, where she taught for four years. Then, she moved to second grade and taught for eight amazing years. The Lord then guided her into yet another direction at Nativity. She was once again able to follow her heart by supporting students who struggle academically. Currently, she is Nativity’s Resource teacher and has been working in this capacity for five years. Her teaching experience prior to Nativity was teaching children with learning disabilities for the Hillsborough County Public Schools system.
She and her husband have two adult daughters who both graduated from Nativity. Michele enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, reading, and going to the movies.
- Donna Rayburn, Rayburn Business Strategies
- Sandra Johnson, NCS Parent: Sandra Johnson has been a Nativity Parishioner for the past fifteen years. In that time, Nativity has had a profound impact on her spiritual life. Sandra was married and baptized her children at Nativity. She is married to Marc, who is a Colonel in the U.S. Army and she is a proud mother of her two daughters, Parker and Payton who have attended Nativity since PreK3. She has an undergraduate and a Master’s degree in Education from the University of Central Florida. Sandra has taught in both public and private schools in the Brandon area over the last two decades. During her free time, Sandra enjoys volunteering with the Junior League of Tampa, traveling, running, and spending time with her husband, daughters, and her Boxer.