NCS's 5th Scripps Spelling Bee
Students in grades 1- 8 should have received a letter last week with their grade specific spelling list containing 100 words. The list represents the words to be used during the classroom spelling bees.
As in previous years, your student has the option to request a full spelling list (combined lists of grades 1-8) from their homeroom teacher for extra study.
In the event additional words are needed during the classroom bee, the teacher will choose from the comprehensive list at his/her discretion.
Below are important dates for the 2018-2019 related to the Bee:
- Monday, December 3rd: Class bees will be held for grades 6-8. One winner will be chosen from each homeroom.
- Tuesday, December 4th: Class bees will be held for grades 1-5. One winner will be chosen from each classroom.
- Wednesday, December 12th: Informational meeting for class winners and their parents at 3:15pm. Location TBD.
- Friday, January 18, 2019: School wide spelling bee. Winners from the classroom bees will participate one one school champion will represent Nativity at the regional bee (pending regional sponsor).
- Every student is required to participate in the classroom bee. The student's performance will not impact their grade in any way.
- 1st and 2nd grades will be allowed to participate in the school wide bee (and great encouraged to do so!), however, only students in grades 3-8 are eligible to compete in the regional bee.
- Additional study material will be provided to the class winners and the school champion as the year progresses.
Class winner: Dress down pass and a ribbon.
School wide bee:
- 1st Place: Trophy, $100 GC to Barnes & Noble, 1 year subscription to Encyclopaedia Britannica online, "Akeelah and the Bee" DVD
- 2nd Place: Ribbon, $50GC to Barnes & Noble
- 3rd Place: Ribbon, $25 GC to Barnes & Noble
Thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please contact Cosi Bello, Spelling Bee Coordinator.